Formal Self Introduction Email

To: Brad Blackstone
From: Tricia Tan
Date: 21 January 2019
Subject: Self Introduction

Dear Brad,
 
I am Tricia Tan, currently studying in Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) undertaking a degree in Hospitality Business. Prior to this, I was studying at Serangoon Junior College.
 
I had my first work experience in the hotel industry when I did my industrial attachment with SIT. I had my internship at Shangri-la Hotel as a front office trainee. As I had no relevant experience, working in the front operation was tough at the start. I made many mistakes along the way. Thankfully, my colleagues were there for me and assisted when I needed help. I grew a lot in person as I took every mistake as a learning curve.
 
Overall, this work experience has opened up my horizon with regards to the hotel industry in terms of how the hotel operates. Furthermore, it made me realised the importance of clear and effective communication between guest as well as various departments. 
 
Given that communication is key, I believe that I still have a lot more to brush up in terms of verbal communication. As I have a poor command of English, I often find it hard to express my thoughts and gather them into proper sentences. I lack confidence and would get nervous easily in front of large group of audiences. Hence, affecting my flow of delivery during presentations. 
 
All in all, I understand that developing good communication skills would require some time. Hence, I hope that under your guidance, I would be able to improve my communication skills and be more confident during public speaking. I am certainly looking forward to your lessons as you impart your knowledge and share valuable insights on professional communication. 

Thank you!

Yours sincerely,
Tricia Tan





Comments

  1. Hi Tricia. I also have a hard time talking clearly and effectively during presentations. Despite numerous attempts, the nervous feeling will creep up without fail during every presentation. I find that coming up with a script of what to say, helps tremendously. Also, taking the time to breathe and not rush through my sentences is something I constantly try to remind myself. I hope that you will achieve your goals for this module. See you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tricia!
    It is nice to see that you had a fulfilling internship at Shangri-La hotel for your IA and that you saw your mistakes as a learning opportunity, instead of getting discouraged by it. As someone with no prior experience, I am also afraid that I will be lost as well when I start my internship. However, I know with guidance from my superiors, I would do okay. I like how you have incorporated the communication aspect when talking about your work experience. I wish you all the best for your future endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tricia!

    It is nice to see that you have benefited a lot from your internship. May you share more on your job scope? I would love to hear about things you do at work as I have never worked in a hotel before.

    On the other hand, I can relate to you as I get nervous in large group setting and lack confidence in my public speaking. I hope that we will be able to improve out weaknesses together!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tricia!
    I am glad you had many valuable take-aways from your internship! Similarly, I encountered challenges in terms of expressing my thoughts and forming proper sentences when I had to present in front of a large crowd. Lets help each other learn and improve ourselves! Look forward to seeing you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tricia! I, too, have a weakness for public speaking causing me to stutter. Let’s do our best to improve our public speaking together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Tricia,

    Thank you for sharing in this comprehensive self-introduction letter. You do a good job responding to the specifications of the assignment. You describe how your involvement in hospitality developed, you cover your internship and the related learning in fine detail, and you address your communication strengths and weaknesses and the goals you have for this module. I appreciate the detailed, honest self assessment on your language use. Of course, that's an area we will focus on this term, so let's start by considering these points:
    1. word use/ phrasing
    -- as a learning curve. > (word meaning) as a learning opportunity
    -- it made me realised > (word form) it made me realise
    -- between guest as well as various departments. > (meaning) between hotel staff members and guests as well as between various departments.
    -- I still have a lot more to brush up > (clarifying the meaning) I still have a lot of work to do in order to refine my verbal communication
    -- Hence, affecting my flow of delivery during presentations. > (sentence fragment)

    I look forward to working with you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Brad,

      Thank you for your kind comments and thoughts of my self-introduction. I really appreciate that you actually took the time to read and comment on everyone’s blog. I will continue to strive and improve on my communication skills.

      Thank you and have a good day!

      Best regards,
      Tricia

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Interpersonal Communication Problem

Welcome!